Thursday, November 15, 2007

Butternut Squash And Apple Puree ..... I prepare many different squash but the butternut is my favorite.


Butternut Squash and Apple Puree
I haven't found a recipe using butternut squash that I can't say I didn't like. I do not add sugar to the squash as I think that spoils the wonderful flavor. If you are one that prefers squash a little sweeter, try adding the apples.
Ingredients:
6 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 large butternut squash, about 2 1/2 pounds, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch cubes
4 Gala or other sweet apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 inch cubes
***
Directions:
In a large skillet with a lid, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add onion, and season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
***
Add squash, apples, and 1 cup water. Cover and simmer until squash is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. (If the skillet has become dry add a little water; if the skillet has not become dry by the time the squash is cooked, drain the excess liquid.)
***
Transfer the squash mixture to a food processor. Add remaining 4 tablespoons of butter, process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper; serve. Serves 8

No comments: