Monday, December 10, 2007

Cut-out Cookies


Cut-out Cookies
This is another recipe from my files which I am so happy to share. My Aunt Pearl was a great baker. At Christmas and Easter she made large batches of cut-out cookies and decorated them so beautiful. This recipe came from her and is supposed to be the recipe of my paternal grandmother. I hope your opinion matches that of so many who have tasted and said, "these are wonderful"!  I have such wonderful memories of these two great ladies and the impact they have had on my life!
***
Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup shortening
2 Tablespoons sour milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup ground nuts
***
Directions:
Mix dry ingredients Blend in shortening. Add beaten eggs, milk and flavorings. Form dough into a disk and chill dough. Divide dough in quarters and work with each quarter while keeping the remaining dough refrigerated while you cut out cookies. Bake at 400 just until dough looses its gloss and the edge shows the slights shade of brown. Try to keep cookies about the same sizes on the baking sheet. Yield 4 Dozen.

No comments: