Saturday, December 29, 2007

Dr. "O"

Dr. "O"
Since moving to California, we enjoy freshly picked oranges daily. My mother was a strong advocate of "an apple a day to keep the Dr. away". Advancing in age makes one aware of the gift of good health. There is much controversy about the benefit of vitamin C and the common cold. I for one happen to be a believer in that fact. In California the rule for eating an orange of the new crop is not to pick before December 15. The cool night temperatures change the starch into sugar and sweetens the oranges. For three years now neither my husband nor I have had a cold. We attribute the fact to having a dose of fresh vitamin C daily.
***
The tree which bears navel oranges is just outside the garage on the side of the house. I have learned to use the oranges in many different recipes. I truly enjoy orange marmalade on english muffins for breakfast. I haven't brought myself to the thought of making marmalade yet. A neighbor has made marmalade and gives it as gifts. My husband treasures the fresh fruit and certainly would consider this wasting good citrus. My husband does enjoy sharing the fruit with house guests extolling the thrill of freshly picked oranges daily. It is almost ceremonious the day we savor the last orange from the tree for the season.
***
One bit of trivia that I recently learned was that the orange tree decides which of the blossoms will develop into fruit. In the Spring, the scent emitting from the thousands of orange blossoms on our tree permeates the air with such a wonderful fragrance. The first year I was alarmed by the number of blossoms that fell to the ground. Recently I learned that the tree decides which blossoms mature into fruit and the tree never allows more blossoms to develop than the branches can hold. If that is your question on Jeopardy, you now have the answer.

No comments: