Saturday, December 15, 2007

Spiced Pecans ..... This is a quick gift, or a snack!

Spiced Pecans
A few years ago before we moved from a small town in North Central Ohio, I walked into the paint store. The lady working that day had a dish of spiced pecans for the customers. I thought the pecans were pretty tasty and requested the recipe.  Mary Lou obliged. What I like most is the fact that most spiced nut recipes begin with "melt butter" (and usually a large amount) but this recipe does not. I think you will like these spiced pecans.

I also have to share a coincidence. I was in the store shortly after my father passed away. Mary Lou had read the obituary in the newspaper and realized that her grandparents and my grandparents lived on adjoining farms. When she shared that with me, I shared that I remembered they also occasionally spent evenings together visiting and playing cards. What a great coincidence.

Ingredients:
1 egg white
1 teaspoon water
1 pound pecan halves
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
Beat egg white slightly, add water and beat until frothy but not stiff. Fold in pecans. Combine sugar, salt and cinnamon, add to pecans and mix well. Spread in a lightly buttered baking sheet. Bake at 250 for 1 hour. Stir every 20 minutes.

No comments: