Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Blizzard of 1978 ..... And What Was Life Back Then!


Click On Photos To Enhance
The Blizzard of 1978
A memory that lives fresh in our experiences thirty years later is the Blizzard of January 27, 1978. The weather announcers had forcast the storm. Don was out of town supervising the operations of nine financial institutions at the time. He left early to drive a distance home that afternoon. I remember hearing the wind howl in a fashion that only a blizzard can bring. The next morning we awoke to about 4 feet of snow in our driveway. Our front walk which was sheltered had about three feet of snow. School was closed for a week. Electricity was off for two days at our house.
***
The top left picture is our home. The picture to the right is the office of our Dr.'s and there were no patients seen that day!
***
So what went on in our lives in 1978. Top left photo is Mary as a majorette. (I hear you Mary, pleeazz!) To the right are the four children on the first day of school. Middle photo to the left is Tom on the Jr. High Football Team. On the right is Anne with her doubles partner Martha Moll who set a school record in girls tennis for Most Wins and pictured with Coach Lynn Garlough. Bottom row is Barbara with her award winning 4-H outfit and last is Barbara graduating from 6Th Grade at St. Francis School pictured with Grandma and Grandpa Myers.
***
Children, I want you to know since you do not post comments on the blog, I thought I would go through the photo albums and make selections that would solicit a posted comment by all four of you!!!! Signed, Your mother!

2 comments:

Morning Dove said...

Thanks Mom, that is a great picture of me on the catwalk! I kind of forgot I was a supermodel in 1978! As far as the blizzard, I remember being sooo excited they cancelled school for the whole week, I don't remember being w/o power for 2 days, Dad must of kept the fire going...
Love, Barbara

Jewels said...

I'll comment "Mom" because I know how bloggers love comments! Love the pictures and memories of the blizzard. Cute pic of the doubles partners, too. I was their "Manager" you know.