Saturday, February 16, 2008

Onion Pie ..... Now Don't Think, "Oh That Sounds Awful!!!"

Onion Pie
In the late 1960's I first subscribed to a magazine which now has different owners and a different format. The magazine was and still is called Gourmet. I was always interested in trying something different. My husband is a good sport about trying any dish I make. Once in a great while he might say I wouldn't make that dish again meaning, it IS thumbs down! This 40 year old recipe was a favorite for him and our children. When I try a new recipe my husband doesn't care for, he will suggest a recipe using some of the ingredients that he likes better and maybe I could repeat that dish the next time! So you know where that first time recipe goes! This is a tried and true recipe that goes well with meat that does not have gravy. I shared this recipe with a friend who called me this morning to help me as somehow my copy of the recipe was misplaced.
***
Ingredients:
1 cup finely ground cracker crumbs
1/4 cup melted butter
2 cups onions, finely sliced
2 Tablespoons butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
sprinkle paprika
***
Directions:
Mix the melted butter with the finely ground cracker crumbs and press into a buttered pie dish. Saute the onions in 2 Tablespoons butter till transparent; spoon into pie dish. Mix the eggs, milk, salt and pepper and pour over the onions. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and paprika. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean or dry. Garnish with parsley, serve hot.

No comments: