Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Tribute To My Aunt And My Hometown


A Tribute To My Aunt Delores
Wednesday evening I learned that my aunt who had been in failing health had passed away. Expecting this, I had made a tentative plan that I would fly back to Ohio for the funeral. My aunt and my mother were such loving sisters all of their lives. During my mother's years of failing health my aunt was so supportive.
***
Her funeral service was a beautiful tribute to a woman who lived such a remarkable but spiritual life. The pastor who officiated, Fr. Frank Kehres is a cousin which gave his sermon and message a personal touch. My aunt was always early for morning mass. Her funeral was scheduled for 10:30 and it too began early. We were so lucky to have her in our life.
***
The custom in the parish church of my youth and my family where the funeral was conducted is to gather after the service for a lunch. I met classmates. For one lady I asked, "I should know her, what is her name?" Oh good Lord! She was in my high school class. Then another classmate still looks like her high school photo and so recognizable! So many cousins that I do not see anymore were there which made for a nice visit. It is so healing for the family to have the love and support of so many through this difficult time.
***
Saturday evening I was invited to dinner with a favorite cousin and her high school friend whom I also knew. What a great time. We spent the evening reminiscing. After Evelyn went home, my cousin and I remained awake until 1:15 a.m. laughing recalling memories from the days on our grandparent's farm. I spent the night at her home. Sunday morning we went to breakfast and then I drove to Norwalk to visit with the families of my husband. Later I attended a mass for my cousin's mother who had passed away one month previously. Monday I spent the day visiting and taking care of some shopping. My brief visit was too brief but a reminder that my heart is still in Ohio. What is the saying, you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl? There will always be a warm spot in my heart for the Ohio area of many years of my life.
***
My dear friend Lois sent me a photo of a Tuesday morning site. I wished I could have captured many of the sites visable along the way to the airport. My plane was scheduled for take off at 6:20 a.m. which was prior to day break. Mother Nature painted the most gorgeous black and white scenes stippled in a sea of fog. As I sat at the airport admiring the snow scene from the terminal I wished I could have captured it in a photo. Mother Nature painted one glorious sight just to remind me how beautiful Ohio can be in the winter.

No comments: