Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Blueberry Grunt

Blueberry Grunt
I enjoy blueberries in any recipe and any way. I found a wonderful Blueberry Soup on another blog ,"Ginger Beat". Yesterday I received my Cooks Country Magazine with another wonderful recipe I will share. I really enjoy this magazine as it give so much research with the recipes it prints. I was intrigued to learn Maria Rundel popularized the idea of cooking sweetened dumpling dough in water to make quick puddings in her "A New System of Domestic Cookery" (1807). Later, the dumplings were dropped in hot stewed fruit and the dessert was given names like "slump" for its sloppy appearance and "grunt" for the sound it made as the fruit bubbled beneath the dumplings. Interesting? I thought so.
Blueberry Grunt
Filling:
8 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 Tablespoons water
1 teaspoon grated zest
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Topping:
3/4 cup buttermilk
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
***
For The Filling:
Cook 4 cups blueberries, sugar, cinnamon, water, and lemon zest in Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is jam-like, 10 to 12 minutes. Whisk lemon juice and cornstarch in small bowl, then stir into blueberry mixture. Add remaining blueberries and cook heated through, about 1 minute; remove pot from heat. cover, and keep warm.
For The Topping:
Combine buttermilk, butter, and vanilla in measuring cup. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 6 Tablespoons sugar in large bowl. Slowly stir buttermilk mixture until dough forms.
***
Using a small ice cream scoop or 2 large spoons, spoon golf ball-sized dumplings on top of warm berry mixture(you should have 14 dumplings). Wrap lid of Dutch oven with clean towel(keeping towel away from source of heat) and cover pot. Simmer gently until dumplings have doubled in size and tooth[pick inserted comes out clean, 16 to 22 minutes.
***
Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon in bowl. Remove lid and sprinkle dumplings with cinnamon sugar. Serve immediately. Serves 12

2 comments:

Beatrice said...

I still have some blueberries in my freezer! This might be how I use them. It seems like a grunt is sort of like a cobbler?

Dine With Donna said...

Beatrice;
My dear mother would havve called this dish also a cobbler. I used to pick blueberries at a farm that was sold and a motel is now on the grounds. What a bummer and poor use for a wonderful blueberry farm.

I would wash the berries and drain them, and then freeze them (individually) on a cookie sheet. I would put them in bags and could take out the amount that I needed. I think I OD'ed my family on blueberreis but they are still my favorite fruit.
Donna
Donna