Thursday, July 10, 2008

Perch Fillets

Taken from the back of our boat, our favorite Perch fishing spot is south east of Kellys Island. I bread the fillets with beaten egg and soda cracker crumb. The fillets are then fried in Mazola Corn Oil and I do have a secret I will share.
Perch Fillets
Lake Erie Perch is a highly sought after fish found in Lake Erie. We spend summers on Lake Erie and sport fishing is what brings a large tourist dollar to the area. When we moved to California, we decided to keep our boat and place at Lake Erie. My husband connects with his former business associates and friends usually twice a week for outings, weather permitting.
Last evening we took perch to the home of a cousin who is house-bound with declining health for a perch dinner.
The Secrets I share, Bread the fish and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour or more. I usually try to refrigerate the breaded fillets for an hour or more. This will make the breading adhere to the fillets and the breading will remain crisp when frying. Another tip. Do not crowd the skillet as this causes a steaming effect.
***
Important: Fry flesh side down first, as soon as they have turned golden, turn to skin side down. Just as soon as the breading cracks with the flesh flaking, the perch are done frying. Remove from the skillet. I place folded paper towels on a platter to absorb any oil from the frying.
Frying skin side down first causes the fillets to curl and the flesh is not cooked evenly when turn fillet is turned.

2 comments:

Beatrice said...

Very nice photos! Reminds me of the perch I had growing up...

Dine With Donna said...

Beatrice; Perch is a fish that once you have tasted that delicate fish, you can never forget it! Donna