Friday, August 8, 2008

The Nutritious Fig ~ Fig Sauce

A Prolific Fig Tree Sun Kissed and Nutritious Figs Calling My Name
***
My earliest introduction to figs was a Fig Newton. My late mother just loved Fig Newtons. The succulent fruit grows abundantly in California. The fruit is often mentioned in the bible so they must be as old as Methuselah.

My first introduction to the fruit fresh from a tree was in Milan, Italy when our son-in-law introduced me to figs wrapped in prosciutto. I recently was treated to fig sauce over Stilton Cheese served with crackers as an appetizer. I also learned the sauce was so easy to make. I will include the instructions I received for making the sauce.

Fig Sauce
4 cups of figs, chopped
3 cups sugar

Place the fruit and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Microwave for 10 minutes and stir again. Continue to microwave and stir every few minutes until you achieve the desired consistency. Microwaves vary so this is an individual "watch". This recipe can be divided, doubled or tripled or however many figs you want to use. Overcooking creates a rubbery paste.

Place in a jar with a tight fitting lid. The sauce will keep refrigerated for at least 4 weeks.

If you plan to make the fig preserves or sauce and want to can it, continue with a water bath.

The lady who shared these instructions gives her fig sauce for Christmas gifts and her friends look forward to receiving it.
P.S. Many thanks to the lady who shared her figs with me, and allowed me to photograph her tree.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Donna

Fig trees are also abundant in S Georgia. I love the idea of this sauce.

I also love fig newtons but seeing a real fig can be confusing as to what to do with it.

Thank you for this sauce recipe.

Dine With Donna said...

Barbra;
I was a little apprehensive about sampling the sauce on Stilton cheese but after my first taste I was hooked. I hope you enjoy this tasty combination.