Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Pumpkin Puree

I have made my own pumpkin puree for several years. On Monday, I baked a pumpkin cut into halves with cut side down on a baking dish. The juices thickened and caramelized to the pan. While this doesn't affect the quality of the pumpkin the puree is perhaps thicker than usual. Tuesday I experimented wrapping a piece of heavy duty foil to cover the bottom and sides of the second pumpkin. I placed it on my baking pans and baked it in a 250 degree oven. The foil saved all of the juices and clean-up was a snap! Baking the pumpkin will take several hours to fully bake, maybe three or four hours but the size of the pumpkin will determine the length of time. This is an easy process. I use an ice cream scoop to remove the stringy center and seeds. Save the seeds to toast and use as a snack or garnish. When the pumpkin is fully cooked it will flatten somewhat with the top dropping into the cavity. If you poke it with your finger it will feel soft. Save the juices. Allow to fully cool. I used an ice cream scoop to clean the pumpkin from the shell. I put the pulp and juices in a blender. It just doesn't get any easier than that. I might add if your pumpkin is thinner in consistency than usual, if you are making a pie add an extra egg. If it is too thick, I add a little extra liquid. I use much of my pumplin puree for soups. Making your own puree spoils the cook and it freezes beautifully I might add. Stay tuned tomorrow for my all time favorite soup, Black Bean Pumpkin Soup.

No comments: