Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bar Codes On Packaged Foods

Barcodes On Packaged Foods
Today I received a very informative article from a friend living in Arizona.  This information should be very important to all of us.    
The first numerals of the bar code identify the origin of the manufacturer of the food product.
00-13  USA or Canada
30-37   France
40-44   Germany
49         Japan
50         UK
57          Denmark
64         Finland
76         Switzerland & Lichtenstein
471       Taiwan
480      Philippines
628      Saudi Arabia
629      United Arab Emirates
690-695  CHINA
740-745   Central America
With China having been recognized for the questionable quality of their food products, they are now eliminating the bar codes on many of their products.
On August 17, 2008, I posted an article on reading the PLU Code on food.   Both articles are worth our attention when we purchase our food products.
I have this information written in a pad that will be with me when I go to the grocery store.
Thank you Barbra and Elaine for these wonderful articles that I have shared with the readers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting lesson on bar codes and what they mean. Thank you!

Here is the link to the PLU post:
http://dinewithdonna.blogspot.com/2008/07/reading-plu-code-on-food.html

Dine With Donna said...

Barbra;
I check everything now since receiving this information. We need to be informed when we shop. Thank you again for the article you sent me in August