Sunday, January 10, 2010

Grandma Receives A Lesson

Anna Olivia Charlotte
Laura
***
Grandma Receives A Lesson
Christmas vacation from school was a perfect time for the blogger to receive a lesson from the real experts. The granddaughters were excited to be featured on the blog. I took a lesson from the girls making toffee. Each made an honorable contribution. When it was finished, I mean gone, the girls agreed it was wonderful!
***
Anne's Toffee
1 cup butter
1 cups sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 pound chocolate, melted
4 cups chopped almonds
***
Using a candy thermometer, cook to 290 stirring to prevent scorching.
Prepare a cookie sheet with sides by buttering foil fitted to the cookie sheet. Pour the toffee onto the foil covered cookie sheet.
***
Melt 1 pound of chocolate (light or dark) in a double boiler.
***
Spread 1/2 of the chocolate onto the slightly cooled toffee. Spread 2 cups chopped almonds onto melted chocolate and lightly press into chocolate. Protect hand with wax paper. Refrigerate until toffee is cooled and chocolate is set. Remove from refrigerator. Lift from pan using the foil and flip over to coat the bottom side with remainder of the melted chocolate: press in the remaining 2 cups of almonds.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna,

Since I love this toffee, Jacob and I tried to make it...and we were struggling. So we called the expert Anne and this is what she said needed to be done from what you have posted:

Prepare 2 cookie sheets with foil.

Anne uses the 1 pound bar from Trader Joes and then cuts up the chocolate in small pieces. So the chocolate is not melted.

I roasted the almonds for 30 minutes at 300 degrees and then chopped them up.

Once you spread the toffee mixture on the tray, you then sprinkle the chocolate pieces on the toffee which is very hot so the chocolate melts quickly. Then you put the almonds on top. I then immediately flip the toffee unto the other cookie sheet while it is hot. I then sprinkle the remaining chocolate on the toffee and usually have to put it in the oven for 4 minutes at 200degrees to get the chocolate to melt. Then you top with almonds and put it in the refrigerator.

The toffee is amazing...! If Jacob and I can make it anyone can!

Jewels said...

What beautiful girls! It's time they were featured on the blog I would say!

Dine With Donna said...

Thank you Susan for an updated version of directions. I posted one cookie sheet in the directions due to the fact that the cookie sheet is foil lined and all you need to do is lift the foil and toffee out of the pan, set the empty pan relined with foil back over the toffee flip the toffee to have the other side up. I figured just fit the cookie sheet over the toffee on the foil and remove the foil to expose what was the bottom.

I took my directions from the family cookbook and some of what Anne told me. I am glad you and Jacob had success! Isn't the toffee wonderful?

Dine With Donna said...

Jewels;
I check your blog daily and just love your postings and photography. We got the two granddaughters to spend five days with us following the cruise. They thoroughly delighted in being on the blog and I was happy to have them. It was a great 13 days of being together