Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Infused Oil

Infused Oil
A specialty at Maderas Country Club Restaurant is the lunch menu. Recently I chose an entree of:
Ingredients:
seared scallops served with
lentils seasoned with
crisp apple wood bacon,
sauteed mushrooms, and
garnished with a grilled green onion,
served drizzled with toasted cumin shallot oil.
I truly enjoy any lentil dish. I copied the description from the menu thinking I could duplicate the dish. I searched the internet for a source of the oil all to no avail.

Last week I returned to the restaurant for lunch asking the server if she would inquire for me the source of the infused oil. She returned to the table saying the source was a restaurant supply house. Not giving up easily I thought perhaps I could duplicate the oil.

Today I took my friend Laura, who is visiting from Calgary, to the Maderas CC for lunch. I was also hoping to purchase enough of the oil to prepare the dish this weekend if the chef would agree. The Executive Chef Earl Schryver came to our table with the recipe in hand. 

After sharing our compliments of the lunch we enjoyed, the chef shared tips on preparing the lentil dish. I returned home and the freshly made infused oil is now in my refrigerator. With the chef's permission, I am sharing the infused oil recipe. I have printed the chefs recipe measurements yielding 2 3/4 cup oil as shared with me. The measurements in parentheses which yields a 3/4 cup which is more manageable for home use. It is a delicious accompaniment with this dish.

Toasted Cumin Shallot Oil
4 Tablespoons Cumin seed (1 Tablespoon)
2 cups E.V.Olive Oil (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup lemon juice (2 Tablespoons)
2 oz. shallots, cut in 1/4s (1/2 oz)
Salt and Pepper to taste
***
Toast cumin seeds and shallots in small heavy skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Cool. Put everything in a blender except the lemon juice. Blend until liquefied. Slowly add lemon juice. Blend until emulsified.  

4 comments:

Meli said...

I love the story!

Dine With Donna said...

Meli: Treat Leo to a great dish. This is it!

Beatrice said...

This sounds delicious (and versatile)!

Dine With Donna said...

Thanks Bea;
The infused oil makes this dish. Eliminate the bacon and add maybe fire roasted red pepper and add this oil for a real vegetarian treat!