Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Harvard Club of Italy Makes Donations

Left to right: Getchew Kebede of Ethiopia, Shama Ramos, Phillipines, Siavash Naderi of Iran, Laura Mesadieu of Hati, our daughter Mary, Salamu Noh Nafe Ali of Western Sahara, Prashant Bharam of India.
HCI donated new netbooks to UWC Adriatic Students
Six United World College Adriatic students, can now study using their own netbooks donated by Harvard Club of Italy (HCI). In keeping with their mission to promote and recognize academic excellence at the secondary school level in Italy, Harvard Club of Italy has developed a fundraising project with UWC Adriatic to provide netbooks for a number of deserving students. Access to computers has become an essential requirement for the International Baccalaureate program and the flexibility of use provided by the new generation of small laptops is of enormous benefit in the intense daily commitments of students studying at a UWC. During the UWC Adriatic Closing Ceremony on May 25th, HCI members, represented by Mary Myers, donated new netbooks to six UWC Adriatic students from Ethiopia, Philippines, Iran, Haiti, Western Sahara and India. UWC Adriatic and the students wish to thank HCI for their generous support and for sharing a dedication to the value of education. “I'm totally blessed right now since I have received this netbook, because I am able to work on small projects/researches in a more mobile way. With its light weight I can carry it anywhere. And not just that, when I learned that the netbook was designed to be an environmentally friendly device I could manage working long hours without using AC power; it can be charged to a full battery in a short period of time.” (Shama Ramos - Philippines, UWC AD 2009-2011) “Since I received this gift from Mrs Myers, many things have become easier. I used to spend the most part of my time in the internet room doing my homework and studying but now with the netbook I waste less time, make less photocopies. I just save the researches on the netbook and I can study and do my work from them. I really like this gift, it is one of the best I have ever received.”(Laura Martine Francisca Mesadieu - Haiti, UWC AD 2009-2011)

No comments: