Monday, August 9, 2010

Hunt's Corners

Click on photos to enlarge!
The Former Hunt's Corners United Church of Christ Thought To Be The Home Of A Heyman Settler Or Perhaps The Hunt Family. The Heyman House B&B
***
Hunt's Corners
Typical of many rural intersections of the more heavily traveled roads or populated areas, names of the families who resided in that area were used to identify locations. This was probably where a Hunt family resided at one time.
When I researched my genealogy, I learned that when my great-great grandparents and family arrived from England, they resided near this area. My great-great grandfather who had arrived from Germany with his family too had settled in the area. Shortly after my great grandparents marriage, my great grandmother Sarah died at the age of 42 and left my great-grandfather who only spoke German with six children. My grandfather was age fourteen at that time.
Being German immigrants working to establish themselves as farmers and purchasing land, my grandfather was hired as a field hand by a Heyman family. Now I thought I was ready to zero in on some very important information crucial to piecing my grandfather's life together. I learned that the farm land on this state highway for an approximate seven miles from town was all owned by one of the Heyman families. My remaining aunt who shared this fact was not quite sure which Heyman farm my grandfather worked. It could have been any of the many Heyman farms in that seven mile stretch.
The Heyman Family has researched their genealogy and made many trips back to Germany to their ancestral roots. The Heyman reunion is probably the largest gathering of families of any reunion held in Ohio. The cousins come from Germany and alternately the Heymans living in the United States have made the trips to Germany.
The area has been very well preserved by the families and is a fine credit to them.

No comments: