Friday, August 6, 2010

My Hometown

My Hometown
The city where I lived until my married years is the county seat. This photo is the tower of the county courthouse. Much has changed since those days of my youth. Most difficult for me to have ever predicted is the difference between the days where we could enter freely as opposed to the security one must pass today. The front lawn has been replaced as well as the iron benches where what we called the "Courthouse Cowboys" would sit and people watch or car count. We never knew their reason but they were there sitting and visiting everyday.

A few years ago the clock stopped working. The bells had peeled for years and many lives were "clock work". I grew up at least one mile from the heart of town. It was the chiming bells or factory whistles that sent us into the house at meal time or late evening when the neighborhood kids were playing.

One resident was determined to repair the clock that had gone into a state of disrepair. The county administrators had a bid for repairs but said with the present economy the funds were not a available. The resident received a lower bid and began to put the wheels in motion with a committee to raise $30,000.00. In a short time the funds were raised and now the bells will chime once again and life can return to "clockwork". A big dedication ceremony is being planned for August 10. The difference one person can make!

Thanks to my hometown newspaper for this photo of the clocktower.

No comments: