Friday, September 10, 2010

Goetta

Goetta
Last evening we returned from a trip to Belterre, Indiana which is on the Ohio River, near the Ohio and Kentucky border. I noticed a dish at the breakfast buffet that I had never heard of prior. I am always eager to try something new. I asked the person next to me what Goetta was. As soon as he spoke, I recognized from his accent that he was native to the area. (they speak with a drawl.) I decided to check the internet this morning to find a recipe for the dish.
***
I learned some interesting facts in my search of a recipe. In the late 1800's there was an influx of German immigrants to the Cincinnati area and with them came many of the dishes native to their homeland. Goetta was one of them. Today Cincinnati has a Goettafest to celebrate the German heiritage. There is one meat packing company in Cincinnati that commercially makes the Goetta. This is a very common breakfast dish in the Cincinnati and northern Kentucky area. It was very tasty and probably something I will make when I am having company to eliminate having to eat it for weeks. I am sure I will make half of the recipe amounts when I do make it.
***
One other dish that is native to the area is Skyline Chili. This is a chili spiced with cinnamon and a slight amount of cocoa served over spaghetti pasta. I will feature this recipe on another day.
***
Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground sausage
8 cups water
2 1/2 cups steelcut oats
1 large onion
1 to 4 bay leaves (optional)
3 teaspoons salt
pinch pepper
***
Directions:
1. In a large pot bring to boil the oats, salt and pepper and the water. turn down , cover and simmer for 2 hours.
2. Add the meat , onions and spices , cover and cook for another hour, stirring ever so often.
3. Pour the mixture in a pan and let it cool. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Now turn loaves out , make slices and fry until browned in a small amount of butter or oil.
***
1. Crock Pot Method: Heat the water first in the Slow Cooker with the salt and Pepper.
2. Add the oats and cook on high for 1 and 1/2 hours
3. Add the meat, onions and spices and cook covered for 3 hours more on low. If thick enough then uncover and cook a bit more until thickened.
4. Follow instructions 4 of the regular method.

No comments: