Sunday, September 5, 2010

Hof Brauhaus

Hof Brauhaus, Munich Germany
Among my box of gifts that I received yesterday were two menus from the world famous Hof Brauhaus in Munich, Germany. The menus were not just a routine menu but the 200th Anniversary Menus. They were printed in German and the second menu was printed in English which I am sure delighted our Italian granddaughters since both are very fluent in German and English. Many of the items, I could figure some of the German words and maybe enough to know some of what the dish that was listed. I know kartoffel is potatoe, bier is beer, and schweinsbraten is pork sausage. Do I need to know anymore?

2 comments:

Mel said...

hahaaa, thats funny! :-)
Schweinsbraten is more like a big peace of pork meat that you cook in the oven. I can make you some when I come to California next time.
Next year, you should come to Germany during the Oktoberfest - we can go together. This year, I won't have a chance, I guess. And: It's only fun when you can drink beer...:-)
Mel

Dine With Donna said...

Meli;
I know wurst is usually sausage or ground meat. I knew schwein is pork but I am not fluent enough in German to know that is is a piece of meat that is usally roasted. Thanks for the help with my "german". I would love to come to Germany for Oktober Fest or just for a bier! You Germans get the medal for brewing the best beer!!!