Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Chili Powder Mix

Chili Powder Mix
I especially enjoy reading the Food & Wine section of the San Francisco area newspapers. Every visitor can attest that the city has an European flair and most restaurants achieve the healthiest preparation of the foods served.
*
During a visit with our children over the recent holidays, Barbara gave me the latest edition of The Bay Area News Group food section. What caught my eye was a blend of spices for Chili Powder Mix. I never thought about blending my own chili seasoning but I thought it was interesting learning which spices are used. A chili recipe was also included in this article which I am sharing.
*
Chili Powder Mix
Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons Paprika
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 to 2 teaspoon dried chili peppers
*
Directions:
Mix together and store in jar in a cool dry place.
***
Chili
Ingredients:
2 pounds ground chuck
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cups celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
48 ounce container tomato juice
2 cups ketchup
3 cans chili beans
Dash hot sauce
1 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 cups cooked spaghetti noodles (broken into thirds)
***
Directions:
Brown ground chuck with green pepper, celery and onion, then drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an hour in a covered pot on low. Add cooked pasta and serve.

2 comments:

Jewels said...

I just might have to try this :)

Dine With Donna said...

We are having unseasonably warm temps at this time but I love to have a pot of soup on hand for a quick lunch.