Sunday, February 20, 2011

Soda Cracker Torte

Soda Cracker Torte
My husband always make a point to save the Food section of our newspaper for me. This week was a series of "remembered recipes". They also could be known as comfort foods. One recipe struck my attention called "Soda Cracker Pie". I read the list of ingredients and knew the recipe I had was a very similar recipe from years ago but tweaked with flavor adding ingredients. I also had made another change to the original recipe. The recipe I used was considered too sweet for my taste. Instead of the 1 cup of sugar in the original recipe, I changed it to 1/2 cup confectioners sugar. I am sharing the recipe I had made many times forty some plus years ago.
This is an easy to make desert and quite satisfying.
Ingredients:
3/4 cup soda crackers, crushed fine
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
3/4 cup chopped nuts
Topping:
1/2 pint whipping cream
2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
or 8 oz. tub Cool Whip
Grated nuts
***
Directions:
Beat egg whites until stiff. Add vanilla and salt. Add sugar beating constantly. Combine soda cracker crumbs and baking powder; add to egg whites. Stir in the nuts. Spread in a buttered 9 inch pie pan. Bake in 350 degrees oven for 25 minutes. Let cool.
*
Prepare topping. Whip cream and add sugar. Spread on top of cooled torte. If using Cool Whip, spread over top of torte. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Tent with foil and let stand 8 hours or overnight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a sucker for those old thyme recipes, especially comfort style food ones. So this recipe is just the sort of thing I am searching for. Much appreciated!

Dine With Donna said...

I can remember when my children were small and this was a quick fix for a dessert and they enjoyed it!