Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Chia Almond Pudding


Chia Almond Pudding

I saw chia seeds in the bulk food aisle of my grocery store when I was buying my Thanksgiving meal groceries.  All I could think of was cha-cha-cha-chia!  Then I learned the seeds are filled with protein and fiber and were first used by the Aztec Indians to thicken foods.  This article I am posting appeared in my hometown paper.  I also found another recipe for their use which I will post tomorrow.
***
Chia-Almond Pudding
Top this pudding with whipped cream and a sprinkle of chia seeds. Or drizzle it with a bit of honey or agave syrup.
Start to finish: Overnight (5 minutes active)
Servings: 4 

Ingredients:
2 cups vanilla almond milk
1 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Directions:
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir well. Leave the bowl on the counter and stir once a minute for about 10 minutes. This prevents the seeds from clumping as they absorb liquid. Cover and refrigerate the bowl for at least 6 hours, or ideally overnight. When you think of it, give the pudding a stir.

No comments: