Monday, August 12, 2013

Kemp's Black Beans

Kemp's Black Beans
This is a recipe from the site epicurious.  Since I am trying to use up food supplies from my cupboards in anticipation of my absence and the fact I do enjoy black beans, I am researching recipes to use up my supply.  This will be on my table tomorrow.  This recipe is best made ahead and refrigerated allowing the flavors to develop.
***

Ingredients

1 lb dried black beans (about 2 1/3 cups), picked over and rinsed (but not soaked)
1 medium onion, finely chopped 
3 tablespoons olive oil 
8 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup Sherry (cream or medium-dry)
1 to 2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Preperation:

Bring black beans, onion, oil, water (8 cups), and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beans are tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours (depending on age of beans). Thin to desired consistency with additional water. Stir in Sherry and remaining teaspoon salt, then soy sauce and vinegar to taste (start with 1 tablespoon each), and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Kemps-Black-Beans-238086#ixzz2blCIayEW

No comments: