Saturday, August 30, 2014

Paleo Peach Crisp


Paleo Peach Crisp
I follow a blog, "Elana's Pantry".   The recipes which are very tasty, also are gluten free.  I give credit for this recipe to Elana.
*
Paleo Peach Crisp is made with only six ingredients: peaches, almond flour, salt, butter, maple syrup, and vanilla. This healthy gluten-free crisp is another one of my easy-to-make Paleo recipes that has even less added sweetener than usual. The entire recipe has one tablespoon of maple syrup. Better yet? My boys and their friends devoured it last night.

If you make this healthy dessert recipe with frozen peaches, be sure to let them thaw completely before you make the crisp. When I used frozen peaches they took around three hours to thaw out to room temperature. Of course, it’s fantastic with fresh peaches.

Paleo Peach Crisp
Ingredients:2 pounds peaches, sliced
1¼ cups blanched almond flour
⅛ teaspoon celtic sea salt
2 tablespoons butter or palm shortening
1 tablespoon maple syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

*
Directions:
Place peaches in an 8×8 baking dish
In a food processor, combine almond flour and salt
Pulse in butter, maple syrup, and vanilla
Sprinkle topping over fruit
Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes
Remove from oven, then cool and serve

Serves 4

From Elana:
I love serving desserts made with almond flour to my growing boys (now teenagers) because almonds are far more nutritious than the wheat flour that traditionally makes up such desserts. Almond flour is higher in protein, lower in carbs, and full of more nutrients than its wheat flour counterpart.

My strategy (getting as much healthy food into the boys as I can) seems to be working since ours is the home that my sons and their friends gathered at all summer long and now come to for “snack time” everyday after school.

Sometimes my children and I make this crisp with apples, and then it really becomes a family affair. The boys have been pealing and coring apples for our baking exploits since they began grade school and it is one task that they heartily agree to and enjoy –probably given the pot of gold (in this case dessert) at the end of that rainbow! What kind of crisp will you make? How will you adapt this recipe to fit your needs? Leave a comment and let me know!

No comments: