Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Hidden Beauty ..... From discard to a treasure!

A Hidden Beauty
Today while speaking on my cell phone with a friend, I caught glimpse of color under the leaves of two potted plants on my side garden wall. This plant was left by the previous home owner back under a bush. My first thought was, it needs to go as I am cleaning up around the landscaping. It resembled the two years of absence by the previous owner. I dropped the plant in the trash. The thought of discarding something which might possibly be worthwhile sent me back to the trash can to retrieve the plant. I trimmed it up and split the plant between two pots. I fitted the pots with drain saucers, placed the pots on the garden wall and literally forgot them. Last summer I noticed that two years later had resulted in nothing of significance. I was too busy to do work in the landscaping. Anyhow, I hired a Gardner for the summer months. My plan was that when we returned from Ohio in the Fall I would take care of working with the outdoor garden wall and decide if the plants were worth keeping.
***
This makes me wonder how often we might overlook something in our lives that has "Hidden Beauty". Perhaps it is a fractured friendship, a worn item to be transformed, or just our everday routine which could include someone who needs some of our time or talents.

No comments: