Monday, January 28, 2008

Lentil Soup ..... A Comfort Food For A Rainy Day!


Lentil Soup, Comfort Food For A Rainy Day
The top photo shows the rain in the canyon and this is our rainy season. I decided to make a pot of Lentil soup for a rainy day. Legumes are such a necessary part of the diet and so rich in vitamins and minerals especially Niacin. I do not have an exact recipe for the soup just adding what I like and season it according to taste. I will offer my method.
Ingredients:
Smoked pork hocks, boiled and lean meat removed
lentils
olive oil
onion, diced
carrots, diced
parsnips, diced
salt and pepper
Directions:
Place hocks in a pan and cover with water, boil until tender. Remove from water to cool; remove meat and dice. I remove as much as possible from the bone and use the scraped bone added to the water when I cook the soup. The imparted flavor of the smoked bone give the soup a wonderful but not overpowering flavor.
***
In a soup pot, add olive oil and diced onion and saute the onion just until transparent and stirring often to prevent browning. Add the lentils which you have picked over and cover with water. When the water starts to boil, reduce heat to a slow simmer. Add the vegetables and salt and pepper. Watch closely as the lentils and vegetables will cook in about the same amount of time, about 20 minutes.

1 comment:

Jewels said...

My kids were great fans of lentil stew, but I've never made it with pork hocks. My daughter keeps laughing at me b/c I'm laughing while I type!