Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Great Pumpkin!

The Great Pumpkin
Recently while walking the dog of our son's family, I passed a home just one block away where I saw this pumpkin growing. It was the same home where I found the fig tree that I blogged August 8. When I saw the pumpkin last month I thought it was a large patty-pan squash. To my amazement yesterday, the pumpkin has achieved a prize winning girth. I inquired about the pumpkin and the homeowner told that she paid $5.00 for a seed last year. The vine yielded a pumpkin which was much smaller. She saved some of the pumpkin seeds to plant this year. I asked if she planned to enter the pumpkin in a show or competition. The lady stated that Half Moon Bay, an ocean community, has a competition in October and she has mailed an application to enter the hearty yield of this year. Good Luck and I hope she is a winner.
***
I wonder if her pumpkin pie will resemble a yellow baked custard pie rather than the traditional orange pumpkin pie.

No comments: