Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Waldo Ohio

Home Of The Famous Grilled Bologna Sandwich

While driving to Dublin Ohio this past Friday, we came to the intersection where a right turn would take us a very short distance to Waldo. Not much exists in Waldo these days. The once thriving furniture store which occupied most of the buildings has since closed. I think I noticed an insurance office and of course the G&R Grill. The specialty at G&R is a huge grilled bologna sandwich served with a 1/2 inch slab of bologna, onions, and sweet pickles on a bun and all for $3.50. Notice the menus. They serve $1.00 beer and that is a can of beer. Cream pies which are heaped high are $2.75 per generous slice and fruit pies are $2.00. Arrive at the lunch hour and you wait in line to be served while everyone is there for a bologna sandwich.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ate at the G & R this evening and it was such a cool experience. A real step back in time.
That sandwich is delicious!

Dine With Donna said...

When I get anonymous comments I often wonder why initials or some means of identification are not used that woould allow me to become more engaged in the comment.

Larry said...

After driving by this place multiple times in the last year I finally decided to stop & try the famous sandwich. I am usually not a big fan of bologna... Until now! OMG was it delicious... This time I had to get one to go. I plan on stopping by again only Im having mayo,lettuce,tomato & onion on my sandwich! I am really looking forward to it! Thanks for a phenominal sandwich... Larry

Dine With Donna said...

I understand why you drove by the reastaurant many times. It is not pretencious by any means but the sandwiches and deep fried mushrooms bring you back time and time again!

Anonymous said...

I lived in Delaware, Ohio 30 years ago . The G&R in Waldo and a bologna sandwich with curly fries were a staple least once a week. I see a Doctor in Columbus once a year, I bring my sister, Cheryl & my niece Lauren with me so that the ride home takes us through Waldo & the G&R.. God Bless The South, Slick Vic !!!!!