Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Fennel

Fennel
One of the vegetables commonly served in Italy is Fennel. The first time I tasted the vegetable was during a visit with our daughter many years ago. I will give you the suggestions for preparation according to a method our daughter uses.
Stand the bulb with the root base down. Slice from top to bottom in generous 1/4" slices. Braise in a skillet. A common preparation is to use a bullion cube dissolved in water. If you have a small amount of water adjust the added amount of the cube. Braise the fennel just to slightly soften. Do not over steam, you want it slightly crunchy. Place the slightly softened fennel slices in a baking dish and season with salt. Add just enough liquid from skillet to cover bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle freshly grated ground Parmesan cheese on slices. Bake in 350 oven until cheese is golden (about 15 minutes).
The flavor of fennel has a slightly licorice taste. It is a vegetable that you either really like or eat to be polite. When I am at the table, no one has to be polite. I love it!
I am using the cover photo from my Cooks Magazine which arrived yesterday. The photo shows a crosswise cut.










No comments: