Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Duomo

The Duomo (Cathedral)
For my birthday in December, our daughter Mary gave my husband and me tickets to the ballet La Bayedere at LaScala.  Following the ballet we enjoyed a late dinner at the Victor Emmanuel Galleria. When returning home the weather had turned to rain. I had a new camera with a function for night time photography. Since the rain had cleared the piazza of people it was easy for me to quickly focus and get this photo. I was quite surprised at the photo details with this camera.

This is such a beautiful building, I am in awe when I stand and try to take it all in.. It took over 200 years to build. One could easily guess that five or more generations worked on the construction and never saw the completion.

 A roof tour is available which allows you to see the enormous details of the building. 2700 statues are incorporated on the exterior alone. When you stand at the top and look north, the view of the Alps is outstanding.
Tommorrow I will post the cast brass doors of the Duomo.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mom, I think this is the most beautiful night photo of the Duomo I've ever seen!
xoxoxox Mary

Dine With Donna said...

Mary;
I was truly amazed at how beautiful the details of the building are so visible in the photo. But when you have such a wonderful medium for a photo how can it not turn out so great?
Love,
Mom