Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Julie & Julia

"Julie & Julia" Julia receives word her cookbook will be published
Julia (Meryl Streep) In The Kitchen
***
Julie & Julia
I received an email from friends telling me that I should see the movie Julie & Julia. Today we took the time to go to the theater. Meryl Streep should receive an Oscar for her performance. Her resemblance of Julia Child was amazing along with her voice and enunciation. I highly recommend the movie!
***
Amy Adams portrayed a New Yorker and a food blogger. I watched her role with interest as I thought there were some parallels with her life and mine. I must admit there is a different energy level with less drama in my life.
***
I remembered in 1964 when I first subscribed to Gourmet Magazine. We lived in a small community with limited choices but quality goods at the Supermarket. I remembered inquiring about availability of artichokes and being told that I was the only gourmet cook in the community since they did not have them. That hardly seemed to qualify me for the title!
***
A few years later I thought I would take my skills to another level. I ordered a two volume set of cookbooks from Gourmet titled "French Cooking". The cover was crimson with my name stamped in gold on the front cover. I just don't remember getting into French cooking. I think the volumes are still in original condition. The books did not create any culinary revelation.
***
I remember seeing a display in Napa CA at Copia which was a center created by Robert and Margaret Mondavi for the purpose of developing an appreciation of fine wine and quality food. Julia had the copper cookware from her kitchen displayed. I also attended a cooking class.
***
Our oldest daughter lived in Cambridge MA for several years and did occasionally see Julia in a food store.
***
Julie & Julia is entertaining and you will enjoy the movie.

3 comments:

Meli said...

I watched the Movie too (with two friends called Julia) and I loved it!!
While watching it, I thought of your blog! :-)

Love, Meli

Dine With Donna said...

It was a great movie! I thought Julie had much more drama in her life than mine. Blogging is an effort. I might add it is very nice to receive comments and I say thank you Meli!

Meli said...

ah well, drama might be overrated anyway... I think it's great that your are blogging so constantly - that's an achievement! I have a blog and almost never write anything...:-(
But at least I get to read yours!

Greetz from Okotberfest-Munich, Meli