Sunday, December 20, 2009

Butterscotch Refrigerator Cookies

Butterscotch Refrigerator Cookies
This Christmas season I did not bake any traditional "Christmas cookies". With a 50Th wedding anniversary, birthday, Christmas, a cruise to celebrate the anniversary all within a four week period along with time constraints, I thought I could fore go the cookie baking this year.

My thoughts often turn to my mother at this time of the year remembering how she loved to make such a happy Christmas for the family.

This is a recipe that my mother received as a young married. The cookies were requested often in my youth. The taste conjures a special memory of by-gone times. How I still miss my mother.
***
Ingredients:
1 cup butter
3 cups packed brown sugar
4 eggs separated 
5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup chopped nuts
***
Directions:
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in chopped nuts. In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into the dough. Shape into four 9 inch rolls; wrap each roll in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
Unwrap and slice into 1/4 inch slices. Place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to cooling rack.

No comments: