Sunday, December 6, 2009

Delectable Cookies From Germany

Christmas Cookies From Germany
Many of us admire the European Bakeries when we travel and must admit the baked goods are a picture. Today I am offering a recipe from Melanie living in Germany. Our son and his wife had an au pere twelve years ago. They were blessed to have Melanie with them for one year. They have remained in contact with Meli. Actually she and her new husband visited California while they were on their honeymoon. Meli posted on her Facebook that she baked Christmas cookies. I requested the recipe and she obliged. Thank You Melanie. I have posted the recipe as she sent it. The converted measurements are in italics. Enjoy!
Ingredients:
300 grams of flour
2 1/2 cups flour
180 grams butter
3/4 cup butter
100 grams vanilla sugar
1/2 cup vanilla sugar
1 egg
a bit of salt
my guess 1/2 teaspoon salt
two handsful chopped nuts
my guess 1/2 to 3/4 cup of chopped nuts
* lf vanilla sugar is not available to you, you may use granulated sugar and add the vanilla flavoring.
Directions:
Mix ingredients quickly with hands. Let cool for 30 minutes. roll out dough to 3 millimeters (1/4 inch) thick. Cut out little circles with a glass. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Cookies don't have to be brown.
When cool place jelly between two cookies. When finished you can sprinkle with powdered sugar.

3 comments:

Meli said...

Donna, I LOVE THIS!!!

thank you, such a nice text. I will send it to my mother in law, she always makes these cookies - and much better than me! :-)

Meli

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Melanie is the best!

Dine With Donna said...

Thank you Meli for the nice edition to my blog. This is what makes it so much fun, the interaction with friends.