Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sun-dried Tomatoes



Oven Sun-dried Tomatoes
Our friends are on a road trip for several days. Prior to leaving they brought some vegetables that they thought would not keep during their absence. At this time of the year tomatoes are a little pricey in the stores. You are careful to store them properly and use them. I decided to try the oven drying method for sun-dried tomatoes. I think I learned a great deal from my first experiment. The recipe said use the lowest setting on your oven. Mine is 170 degrees which is way to low. Six hours in the oven proved nothing. When I increased the temperature I needed to keep a watchful eye on their progress. I gave one a taste test this morning and am happy with the flavor but ten hours in an oven is too long. Had I used the correct temperature I am sure the recommended four hours would have been perfect.
Directions:
Place tomatoes cut in half on a cooling rack above a baking sheet. (I removed the seeds). 

Mix salt, sugar, and thyme: sprinkle onto tomatoes.

Drizzle with olive oil. Remember olive oil saturated tomatoes will always be moist so drizzle

Your tomatoes when dried will be "compact" so go lightly with seasonings. 

Place in an oven set at 225 degrees. Expect four hours to dry. Tomatoes should be dry but not crisp. 

The taste is excellent.

No comments: