Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tortilla Soup



Tortilla Soup
Several years ago I bought a cookbook from a restaurant in Dallas known for serving wonderful food. The Restaurant was called "Under The Mushroom". The cookbook had a small mushroom printed next to recipes that were served in the restaurant. I found a recipe for Tortilla Soup and thought some day I would prepare it. Today was the day. Needless to say lunch turned into dinner. I do have my edition of shortcuts posted at the end for time savers. The frying of the tortilla strips seemed to take forever.
***
Ingredients:
10 corn tortillas cut in strips
1/4 cup oil
4 green bell peppers, quartered
2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 onion, minced
1 galic clove, minced
1/4 cup oil
8 cups chicked broth
3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
(*I added 1 teaspoon of ground cumin and next time I will add 2 teaspoons)
***
Directions:
In a skillet fry tortillas in oil, adding more oil if needed, until the strips are golden. Drain on paper towels. Saute the green peppers in the remaining oil until they are browned. Drain on paper towels and tear into pieces. Saute tomatoes, onion, garlic in 1/4 cup oil until they are soft. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Salt to taste. Divide the tortilla strips, peppers, and cheese among six bowls and pour the boiling soup over them. Serves Six

My shortcut! Buy tortilla strips or chips and break the chips, dice the green pepper it browns faster, minimize oil for frying. Frying tortilla strips took almost 2 hours. Way too long to spend making soup.

No comments: