Saturday, October 1, 2011

Chicken With Cinnamon Apples

Last evening we entertained neighbors at dinner reciprocating the dinners we have enjoyed with them this past summer while living at our Lake home. Our neighbor George has a great appetite. George also loves to tease so I have to really consider if George maybe is serious or thinks he has an opportunity. I prepared this wonderful chicken with cinnamon apple recipe and served it with acorn squash with a corn pudding filling (recipe on blog. Just do a search for acorn squash and the recipe will come up.) George was sitting in a chair before dinner and says the only vegetable he doesn't like is squash. I thought it was my fault for not asking before I chose the menu. George was a good sport and did eat his squash so I still am not sure if he really does not like the vegetable or just took advantage of an opportunity.
***
Chicken With Cinnamon And Apples
Yield 4 to 6 servings
One 3 1/2 to 4 pound roasting chicken
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
1 cup chicken broth
1 13 cups white wine
3 apples, cored and cut horizontally into four pieces, Fugi are fine.
2 tablespoons sugar
***
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
*
Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Put in a roasting pan with the onion. Pour the chicken broth and wine over the chicken. (I omitted the wine in consideration and added 2 1/3 cup chicken stock I made.) Roast the chicken in the oven for 45 minutes.
*
After the chicken has been cooking for 45 minutes, surround it with the apples sprinkled with the remaining sugar and cinnamon. (I placed the sugar and cinnamon on a plate and just dipped the apple flat on the plate in the mixture on one side only.) Baste with the juices and roast for about 45 more minutes or until the apples are very soft and the chicken is cooked.
*
Normally I do not like meat that has been cooked with fruit. I have to say the flavor of this moist chicken is not sweetened by the addition of apples. This will be a regular when I prepare a roasting chicken. It is delicious!

No comments: