Friday, February 28, 2014

Bicardi Rum Cake

Bacardi Rum Cake
I have always kept a very neat recipe box. Each recipe is in a protective sleeve.  If it came from a friend I wrote the name and date on the recipe.  Since I began my blog I no longer hand-write my recipes.  This recipe came from a friend that shared recipes with me over a time spanning the 40 plus years.  It  freezes very well when cut into serving sizes.  This recipe is marked June 1980 and Vigdis Sell.    
***
Ingredients:
Cake:
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
*
1 18oz. box yellow cake mix
1 sm. box instant vanilla pudding.
4 eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup Bacardi Rum
*
Rum Syrup Glaze:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
Boil 5 minutes stirring constantly.  Slowly add:
1/2 cup Bacardi Rum
*
Cake Directions:
Grease and flour a 12" bundt pan or a 10" tube pan.  Sprinkle the walnuts or pecans on the bottom of the baking pan.  (I sprinkle some on the bottom of the pan and add the rest to the batter and mix well before I pour the batter into the pan.)

Mix together the cake mix, instant pudding, eggs, cold water, oil and rum.  Mix well and pour over nuts.   Bake 1 hour at 325^.  Cool and invert on serving plate.  (Here is where I make the change in the given directions.)  I allow the cake to cool in the pan about 5 to 10 minutes.  Using hot pads I tip the cake at an angle and tap it on a cutting board where I can see the cake has loosened from the pan.  I make sure the cake has loosened from all sides.  Make the rum syrup glaze.
*
Rum Syrup Glaze Directions:
Boil butter, water and sugar 5 minutes stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and slowly add 1/2 cup Bacardi Rum.  Boil 30 seconds more.
*
Pour over top and sides of cake.
Here is where I change the directions.  I leave the cake in the warm pan and pour the syrup over the cake covering the best I can.  I leave it about 5 minutes to be fully absorbed then I place a plate on the top of the baking pan and flip it over to release the cake.  It is not only delicious and looks beautiful  but it freezes well.
*
Optional: Decorate with whole maraschino cherries and a border of sugar frosting or whipped cream.  Serve with seedless green grapes dusted with powdered sugar.

No comments: