Thursday, August 28, 2008

Herbs & Spices

Herbs & Spices by Aliza Green
Our daughter Barbara thought I might enjoy reading three of her new books related to cooking. The first book I chose to scan has really hooked my attention. Spices are such an important part of any dish. Since I try so many different and also ethnic dishes, it seems my selection of spices are filling my cupboard. You are encouraged to replenish your spices every year to maximize their freshness and flavor.

This book will become your kitchen bible and save costs many times over. Descriptions of spices are given along with other names it may be known. A detailed description of their use is given. For many of the "exotic" spices which I refer to or the blended spices, the formula / recipe is given. These are blends of staple type spices.

Eaarlier this week I was looking for the spice Garam Masala to prepare an Indian dish. We went to a store which specializes in organic and imported foods and yes they did have it but at $2.00 for a tablespoon amount. When I found the recipe or formula for the spice, it called for:

***

2 crushed cinnamon sticks

3 crushed bay laurel leaves

1 Tablespoon fennel seeds

1 Tablespoon green cardamom pods

1 Tablespoon black pepper

2 teaspoons coriander seeds

1 teaspoon whole cloves

Toast in dry skillet until fragrant and lightly smoking. Allow to cool and crush. Stir in 1 teaspoon of mace or nutmeg. Yield 1/3 cup.

***

So for $2.00 per tablespoon, The above recipe would not cost me $10.00 to prepare plus I have the fresh factor if I make the spice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that classy daughter of yours! But what an amazing mentor she has! I have been surveying the past few entries, and am inspired. You go, Donna!

Dine With Donna said...

Anita;
Thank you for joining my readership and also for commenting. Barbara has mentioned you and your family often and I know she prizes your friendship.
Donna