Monday, December 1, 2008

Day 1 of "12 Days Of Christmas Candy" Buckeyes


Buckeyes
Anyone with family in Ohio or has lived in Ohio, the Buckeye State, knows this recipe. It is the closest taste to a Reese Peanut Butter Cup.
Ingredients:
One 12 ounce jar creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
1 pound box confectioners sugar
12 ounce bag chocolate chips
paraffin (see note)
***
Directions:
Over a low flame or in a double-boiler, melt the butter and peanut butter, stirring until well mixed. Add the confectioners sugar and mix well. Form into buckeye shapes. Dip with toothpicks, fork or spoon into chocolate chips which have been melted and a few slivers of paraffin added to make the chocolate adhere. Leave a small space uncoated for the "eye" of the buckeye.
Note: I shape the buckeyes and freeze with a toothpick inserted. I dip them frozen into the chocolate and do not use paraffin. When the peanut butter shape thaws I close the hole left by the toothpick.
***
A Comment From Susan: Susan uses 1/2 of the amount of the butter in this recipe but adds more powdered sugar and she has the distinction of being "The Expert Buckeye Maker"! Now that title counts for something!
***
Add a comment this week and your name will be in the drawing for an item from Italy marking the 500Th posting on my blog on December 10. Winner will be announced December 14 from Italy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the expert Buckeye maker in the family. I would like to add a comment that I usually only add half of the butter and add more powdered sugar. I have to bring Buckeyes to school for each kid's birthday!

Susan

Dine With Donna said...

susan;
You are in the drawing for something wonderful from Italy! Let us see what sweet little Anna can do for you with luck in the draw!

I will make that change to the recipe with a notation! Thank you for the help!

Jewels said...

Another idea from a former Buckeye... add rice krispies to the pb mixture for a lighter buckeye. They're harder to roll though.

An I in the drawing twice now?

Dine With Donna said...

Jewels;
I was hoping to hear from my most faithful reader and person to send a comment. I am undecided if I will put a chance for each comment or one per person. Just keep you comments coming!

Anonymous said...

I also use less butter because that you way you can eat more of them!!!!!

Dine With Donna said...

Anonymous:
I need initials or someway of knowing who you are for the drawing. You won't be exposed.