Monday, December 26, 2011

Best Crystallized Ginger or Candied Ginger


Best Crystallized Ginger 
or Candied Ginger
I previously attempted a different recipe for crystallized ginger and did not feel the end result was satisfactory. Today I looked this recipe over and felt that it too lacked some specifics to determine the length of time the ginger should be cooked in the syrup. My first attempt was a little more brittle than I like as the syrup reached too high of a temperature. My suggestion is to cook the ginger in the syrup until a thermometer tested in the syrup reaches 220 degrees.  Also, after a third batch recently, I have added a few tips experience has taught me.
***
Peel and thinly slice (1/8" slices) 1 pound (500 grams) fresh ginger root.  Place sliced ginger in a heavy saucepan and cover with 5 cups water.  Cook gently until tender.  Time varies due to size of slice and size of rhizome.  Drain off water when tender.

Weigh drained sliced ginger.  Weigh sugar to equal weight of ginger.  Place sugar and ginger slices in heavy saucepan.    Stir to mix well.  Cook over a med-low heat until the syrup reaches 220 F.

Drain the ginger.  Place about 1/2 cup sugar in a deep bowl with lid.  I use a 2 cup refrigerator container.  With a swirling action of the bowl, drop a few single pieces of ginger in the bowl and swirl to coat.  Place coated pieces on a cooling rack.  When I have several pieces coated and the sugar has slightly dried, I move them to a strainer or colander with a large mesh or holes, shaking the ginger again to remove excess sugar.  Place the coated ginger on a cooling rack over a baking sheet to dry.  When thoroughly dry place in an air tight container.  Keeps fresh for up to 3 months.  Make certain the ginger is dry to prevent mold.

*This is a little time consuming recipe but very worth the effort.  My suggestion is not to double the recipe but make two two batches.



No comments: