Thursday, January 31, 2008

Good Bye To January ..... With A Fond Farewell!

So Long Dear Friend January!
Today I am in San Francisco saying good bye to January. My original plans were to fly up mid January and do some painting for our youngest daughter Barbara. Barbara planned to have an office unit built in the space where she has her computer and etc. Barbara changed plans last weekend and now we would plan for the second of February and I would fly up on the weekend. That was the plan last weekend!.
***
Wednesday with many tasks before me, I received a call that Barbara could get her business unit installed Thursday and could I fly up to be present with workers in the house and also to make any decisions that might need to be made. She also said that there was a flight at 4 o'clock and could I make that. I related I had a three o'clock appointment for a permanent and at the moment I looked like the wreck of the Hespars so I really needed to keep the appointment. Barbara said if I could make a seven o'clock flight that would also work. My suitcase needed to be packed, I had to get thing around for my husband to eat while I would be gone and the permanent. I was using a new hairdresser as my favorite gal was off following surgery.
***
The beautician turned out to be quite a talker and would stop rolling my hair and turn to me and talk. I think she saw that it was stressing me. After a while I would look at my watch when she did this. She would say don't worry I will get you out on time. As soon as the rods were removed from my hair, my hair was rinsed and towel dried, I asked the stylist to just apply the styling lotion and I could finish things at home.
***
I drove home as quickly as possible. I was going to hopefully make the seven o'clock flight. I put things together hoping not to forget anything I might need while I was gone. At 5:40 p.m. I was ready to join the rush hour travelers on Interstate 15 attempting to make it to the airport. About one and one half miles from home, I stopped for a traffic light. The light changed and a brief noise was heard, the engine began to race and the transmission was gone. What a bummer!
***
The benefit of having a daughter living nearby is you can call on them. We called Anne and asked if she could drive me to the airport while Don took care of getting my van towed. Anne had two sick girls at home with a Dr.'s appointment at 8 p.m., but yes she would drive me. I arrived at the ticket counter at 6:58 p.m. I said to the ticket agent, I think I missed the seven o'clock flight. The ticket agent replied, that flight was cancelled. The agent said the next flight was 8:40. p.m. which I made. I finally arrived at the San Jose airport at 10:00 p.m. and with road repair delaying traffic we arrived at Barbara's at 12:10 a.m. Since we had installers here most of the day Thursday, I was without the Internet. It is amazing how dependent we get with conveniences that fifteen years ago were not in our life. Oops I have a call on my cell phone. It is my husband!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna!
This sounds like a very stressful day to me but I think you handled it well!