Monday, June 8, 2009

The Addictive Morel Mushroom

The Addictive Morel Mushroom
I couldn't resist photographing the morel mushrooms I was lucky enough to find in a boutique market at The Stanford Mall while visiting in the Bay Area. At $29.99 a pound, most people would pass them up for a cheaper mushroom. This skillet full was $7.50. The flavor can be compared to no other as the sweet deilcate flavor stands alone.

As a child I tramped the woods for hours in search of this delicacy. Some years the harvest was plentiful while other years they were very scarce. My husband had never tasted a morel until we were married. Now he is the mushroom hunter. So when do you hunt the morel? My late mother always said the morel mushrooms come and go with the apple blossoms. In Ohio that was usually the first two weeks of May.

How did I prepare these morels? Saute in butter until the mushroom "flattens" its shape. Once the rounded shape is gone, finish with your recipe; don't overcook. I added some cream for a sauce and topped a grilled steak. Now that is eating like royalty!

No comments: