Monday, July 5, 2010

Homemade Nutella


Homemade Nutella
Eighteen years ago I made my first trip to Italy. Our daughter Mary introduced me to Nutella, the chocolate hazelnut spread. Hazelnut anything quickly becomes a favorite of mine! I remember toting home several jars to give to friends. I really thought I found something unique and certainly something they would never find in an area grocery store. A few years later I learned it was very available in area stores.
***
Ingredients:
1 cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup cocoa powder
5 Tablespoons agave nectar
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon Hazelnut oil
pinch salt
***
Directions:
Roast hazelnuts in a 350 degree oven 8 to 10 minutes until nuts smell fragrant and skins appear cracked. Place hazelnuts in a towel and cover to rest and cool. Rub nuts with towel to remove skins from the nuts.
Place nuts in food processor and process until a smooth paste forms, about 5 minutes, scraping sides as needed.
Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Place in a jar with tight fitting lid and place in refrigerator. Allow to warm to room temp. prior to serving. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

No comments: