Friday, July 2, 2010

Arugula-walnut Pesto Pasta

It is a holiday weekend and we have invited a long time friend for dinner. I also have many tasks to do today so I have tried to get a jump-start on meal preparation. I found this recipe and thought it sounded not only quick but tasty. I like arugula which is the peppery tasting salad green. I never seem to get the basil used before it is wilted or wasted when I purchase the package to make pesto. Arugula has a longer shelf life and is more economical. My arugula pesto to serve for dinner is made and in the refrigerator. The remainder of the ingredients are measured and am set to go. I will serve salmon and fresh green beans with mushrooms, a garden salad, and of course the farfalle pasta. Farfalle is the Italian word for butterfly.
Arugula-walnut Pesto Farfalle
Ingredients:
12 oz. farfalle pasta
2 cups baby arugula
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup toasted walnut pieces, divided
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup crumbled gorganzola cheese
1/2 cup golden seedless raisins
***
Directions:
Cook pasta according to directions.
In a food processor, whirl together arugula, lemon zest, garlic, 1/4 cup walnuts, the oil, salt and pepper, scraping inside the bowl as necessary .
Drain pasta, reserving about 1/4 cup of the water. Return pasta to the pot and add pesto, stirring to coat. Stir in remaining walnuts, the cheese and raisins, and reserved pasta water. Serves 4

No comments: