Friday, August 7, 2015

Overripe Fruit.

Dealing With Overripe Fruit
I have a bad (if you can call it that) habit of going overboard every time I buy fresh fruit these days. Sweet Georgia peaches? I'll take a dozen! Bright red cherries? A couple pounds will do. Oh, strawberries? Might as well grab a couple quarts. And of course, I'll need half a watermelon.
Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but it's way more than two people can manage to eat. And despite my good intentions, I've been coming face to face with a lot of overripe fruit. Here's how I deal with it!
What I'm talking about is fruit that's not quite at the point where it's totally spoiled, but it's not really enjoyable to eat out of hand anymore. The kind of fruit that looks past its prime; sort of wrinkled and worn. There's more life in that produce than you might expect, so step away from the compost bin!

Put Overripe Fruit to Work

The simplest and most immediate way to deal with overripe fruit is to puree and freeze it. Cut away any soft or spoiled areas, zip it through a blender or food processor, then freeze it in ice cube trays.
Just about any type of fruit will work! Berries, melons, stone fruits, pineapples, mangos, or whatever you happen to have. If any fruit has a pit, you'll need to remove it before pureeing. And for things like peaches and nectarines that have skin, you can remove it or leave it on. It all depends on your taste.
Of course, the most fun part is putting these frozen fruit purees to work! Blend them into smoothies, shakes, and cocktails; use them to cool drinks; or let them melt and use as a dessert topping.

No comments: